Automobile Insurance: Stolen Vehicles
Top Ten Stolen Vehicles
*The top ten automobiles stolen in United States in 2020 were:
- Ford Full Size Pick-up - 2006
- Chevrolet Full Size Pick-up - 2004
- Honda Civic - 2000
- Honda Accord - 1997
- Toyota Camry - 2019
- Nissan Altima - 2020
- GMC Full Size Pick-up - 2005
- Toyota Corolla - 2020
- Honda CR-V - 2000
- Dodge Full Size Pick-up - 2001
*Thefts for all models in the top 10 were up in 2020 compared to 2019, but only Ford, Chevrolet, and GMC full size pick-ups and the Honda CR-V saw double digit theft increase percentages. In this year's list, six of the top 10 most stolen vehicles were Japanese models.
If your auto is not on the top ten stolen vehicle list, be thankful. However, choosing to ignore simple safety measures could open an invitation to theft. Here are a few guidelines to keep your vehicle safe:
- Remove the keys from the ignition
- Close the car windows
- Lock the car doors
- Park in a well lit area
- Remove the garage door opener from the car-there is no better way to welcome thieves into your home.
- Purchase and use anti-theft devices to protect your automobile. Save money by checking with your insurance company to see if they offer a discount on your automobile insurance policy for a vehicle that is equipped with an anti-theft device.
For more information on keeping your vehicle safe visit https://www.nicb.org.
*Data from National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB): NICB's Hot Wheels: America's 10 Most Stolen Vehicles (2020 Data).