Automobile Insurance: Stolen Vehicles
Top Ten Stolen Vehicles
*The top ten automobiles stolen in United States in 2018 were:
- Honda Civic - 2000
- Honda Accord - 1997
- Ford Pickup (Full Size) - 2006
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size) - 2004
- Toyota Camry - 2017
- Nissan Altima - 2017
- Toyota Corolla - 2017
- GMC Pickup (Full Size) - 2018
- Dodge Pickup (Full Size) - 2001
- Jeep Cherokee / Grand Cherokee - 2000
*According to the FBI, in 2018, a total of 748,841 vehicles were stolen in the United States, a 3% decline, and a return to the dominant downward trend we’ve experienced since entering the 21st century.
If your auto is not on the top ten stolen vehicle list, be thankful. However, choosing to ignore simple safety measures could open an invitation to theft. Here are a few guidelines to keep your vehicle safe:
- Remove the keys from the ignition
- Close the car windows
- Lock the car doors
- Park in a well lit area
- Remove the garage door opener from the car-there is no better way to welcome thieves into your home.
- Purchase and use anti-theft devices to protect your automobile. Save money by checking with your insurance company to see if they offer a discount on your automobile insurance policy for a vehicle that is equipped with an anti-theft device.
For more information on keeping your vehicle safe visit http://www.nicb.org.
*Data from National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB): NICB’s Hot Wheels: America’s 10 Most Stolen Vehicles (2018 Data).