What to do After an Automobile Accident
- Stop your car.
- Remain calm.
- Determine if there are injuries and call for medical assistance if needed.
- Do not block traffic. Move your vehicle as far off the roadway as possible. Stay at the scene and warn other motorists by activating your hazard lights or setting flares.
- Call the police to report the accident. Ask the investigating officer where you will be able to obtain a copy of the police report.
- Do not admit fault or liability. Discuss the accident only with the police and your NYCM Insurance claim representative.
- If possible, at the scene, exchange names, phone numbers and license numbers of all the drivers, passengers and witnesses to the accident, including pedestrians, bicyclists, etc. Always write down the make, model and license plate numbers of the other vehicles. Ask all drivers for their insurance company information such as name of company (not name of agent) and policy number.
- Record details of the accident. Document the accident as much as possible while the details are still fresh in your mind. If possible, photograph the accident scene.
Contact NYCM Insurance (800-234-6926) or your independent agent immediately to report the accident and provide all of the information you have collected.
We now offer online reporting for your auto glass claim through our trusted partner, Safelite Solutions.